- Ministry of Justice
- New Zealand Police
- Oranga Tamariki - Ministry for Children
- Ministry of Health
- Statistics New Zealand
- Official Information Act request
Ministry of Justice
Summary of data tables
Justice statistics data tables: Notes and trends for 2020/2021 (PDF, 250 KB)
The Ministry of Justice website currently provides data (to year ended 30 June 2021) on:
Specific offence types
- Family violence offences
"All offences flagged as family violence in the Ministry Case Management System orinvolving a range of offence types specific to familial circumstancesare counted..6 This is the most comprehensive family violence offences data published by the Ministry as it includes all charges flagged as family violence, regardless of the offence type (for example, charges for wilful damage and homicide that are flagged as family violence are included)."
See Notes and trends for 2020/2021, p. 3
- Sexual offences
- Harmful digital communication offences
The Ministry of Justice updates this data every six months.
For more information sources, see Research & data, including:
- Family violence and sexual violence research
- New Zealand Crime and Victims Survey (NZCVS) - further nformation about NZCVS and the previous New Zealand Crime and Safety Survey (NZCASS) is available on our Population-based research page
- Data tables
New Zealand Police
Provides access to a number of interactive reports inclucing daily occurrences of crime and family violence investigations, offender and victim data.
Family violence investigations data for the last 3 years for Auckland, outside Auckland and New Zealand are available.
Please read the Clearinghouse news item about data on unique offenders and unique crime victims.
Our data – you asked us (New Zealand Police, 2019) includes data on:
Family harm (pages 4 - 7)
- Family investigations* conducted by Police district, 2016 - 2018 (Table 2)
- Proportion of family investigations* with offences, arrests and/or prosecutions by Police district, 2016 - 2018 (Table 3)
- Proceedings against offenders that involved an offence for contravening a protection order, by Police district, 2016 - 2018 (Table 4)
- Police Safety Orders (PSOs) issued and breached, 2011 - 2018 (Table 5)
*Caveats: Family harm investigations (page 31)
Sexual assaults (pages 26 - 27)
- Recorded sexual assaults, by Police district, 2016 - 2018 (Table 17)
Oranga Tamariki - Ministry for Children
The Quarterly Report gives a snapshot in time of how Oranga Tamariki is performing in relation to the Outcomes Framework. It shows how children and young people move through the system. This regular report will be updated and published on a quarterly basis providing information for the 12 months to report date.
What is happening with entries into care? (Oranga Tamariki Evidence Centre, July 2021) analyses the fall in entries into Oranga Tamariki care between 2017 and 2020. Three related repors are available.
Safety of Children in Care reports will be published biannually from 2020.
Safety of Children in Care: Biannual report July - December 2020 (latest report)
Safety of children in care: Annual report July 2019 to June 2020 (latest annual report)
More data about how Oranga Tamariki works with children, including data on babies and children entering Oranga Tamariki care.
Earlier data (to June 2017) on Child, Youth and Family is available from Ministry of Social Development website.
Ministry of Health
For specific information requests, email: email@example.com
Statistics New Zealand
Crime and justice statistics
Find information on prosecutions and convictions, types of sentences, and the number of people serving prison or community sentences.
Official Information Act requests
The Official Information Act 1982 can be used to request specific information.
About the Official Information Act (Citizens Advice Bureau)
Requests for official information | Tono mō te pārongo ōkawa (Office of the Ombudsman)