Corrections to improve support for female prisoners at risk of family violence
Mon 29 Aug 2016
Corrections Minister Judith Collins has announced that Corrections has introduced changes to better support women prisoners at risk of family ...
Corrections Minister Judith Collins has announced that Corrections has introduced changes to better support women prisoners at risk of family violence when they leave prison.
Corrections said "Most women prisoners are, or have been, victims of family violence, which may be intergenerational and an entrenched part of their lives."
- Corrections and Police working together to share information about family violence risks
- Prison case managers making links earlier with family violence agencies that work with victims
- Allowing women to have time in prison to attend courses or programmes
- Additional planning when a woman leaves prison and returns to her community
- Access to call 0508 / 0800 numbers for assistance.
Minister Collins said “For many of these women, prison is a place of relative safety compared to what they may face at home. There is a lot that Corrections can do to support them while in prison and prepare for their eventual release back into the community.”