Tertiary education

Crowd of graduates

Please note that course listing does not constitute endorsement by the New Zealand Family Violence Clearinghouse, as we are not able to review the training provided.

Postgraduate study

Postgraduate programmes in violence studies are offered by:

University of Auckland
Auckland University of Technology

University of Auckland - Postgraduate study options in Violence Prevention

Postgraduate study options in Violence Prevention

The University of Auckland offers a number of postgraduate courses that are relevant for those working in violence prevention or interested in working in the area. These can be taken as part of a postgraduate certificate/diploma in Health Sciences or Social Work.

Recommended courses for a Postgraduate Certificate in Health Sciences (PGCertHSc) are:

POPLHLTH 769 Interpersonal and Family Violence (Semester 1)
SOCCHFAM 700 Domestic Violence: Challenges and Responses (Semester 2)

Each 30 point course is taught in 2-day blocks, with no end of course exam.

This is a joint Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences and Faculty of Education and Social Work initiative.

If you don’t have an undergraduate degree, this is NOT a barrier to entry into postgraduate study. The general requirements are that you hold a recognised health professional qualification plus at least two years of relevant work experience. For more information, please contact the Course Coordinators.

Find out more about postgraduate study options in Violence Prevention at the University of Auckland

Find out more about enrolment in postgraduate study at the University of Auckland

Auckland University of Technology - Violence and Trauma Studies

Postgraduate study in Preventing Violence and Creating Trauma Recovery

The aim of the programme is to provide professional vocational training that will reduce damaging behaviour in our community. The programme builds theory, awareness, and skills for working in chosen areas and solving problems of behaviour that reduce life potential.

The programme is offered in blocks in March and August. The programme also includes online support, discussions and groups.

Students complete written assignments and also plan a strategy to address a relevant problem of personal interest. There are no exams.

The programme is open to anyone with a bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification who has a commitment to increasing individual and community well-being.

For the Postgraduate Certificate in Health Science in Violence and Trauma Studies students complete three papers:

COMH 801 Theory and Principles of Violence and Trauma (30 pts)
COMH 802 Effective Practice in Violence and Trauma (15 pts)
COMH 805 Trauma Informed Practice and Psychosocial Interventions (15 pts)

Students may then choose to complete the Postgraduate Diploma of Health Science in Violence and Trauma Studies.

Find out more about studying Violence and Trauma Studies: postgraduate qualifications and papers at AUT. Also see the detailed course descriptions and register your interest

Postgraduate study at other tertiary institutions

Members of our Academic Advisory Group may be able to discuss study and research options at other tertiary institutions with you.

Other tertiary study options

At present there are no undergraduate degree level qualifications in New Zealand focused solely on family violence. If you are interested in doing tertiary level study or obtaining formal tertiary qualifications, here are some further options to consider.

The Careers NZ website is designed to help you find the career path that is right for you.

The wānanga, institute of technology, polytech or university near you may offer individual papers or short courses which are of particular interest to you.

Here are some suggested key words to look for: child protection, counselling, criminology, domestic violence, family law, family violence, gender studies, social work, sociology, whānau violence, women's studies.

Read the NZQA's guide to choosing a tertiary qualification

Related pages

Find information about scholarships and grants to help fund your study.

See our education and training page for other professional development opportunities.