Recommended reading on family and whānau violence
Prepared by the New Zealand Family Violence Clearinghouse,
University of Auckland, May 2017
Read online below or download as a PDF or Word document
For more information, please contact the Information Specialist
About this reading list
This list of reports, articles and resources is a selection by the New Zealand Family Violence Clearinghouse (NZFVC). Its purpose is to provide quick access to key research, reports, conceptual frameworks, tools and other resources that have been influential and useful in developing understandings of family violence, whānau violence, violence against women and gendered violence over time. We use "family violence" as an umbrella term including intimate partner violence, child abuse and neglect, elder abuse and more.
Items range from websites, tools and YouTube clips to reports and journal articles. Some of them are classic or seminal pieces and some are newer; they are ones we tend to come back to again and again. They are ones we frequently send out when people ask us for information on these topics. It is not intended to be a comprehensive list of the large amount of invaluable research that has been done and resources that have been created, but, we hope, a useful reference.
Where an item is in the NZFVC library, the link goes to the library record – click on the link to bring up a brief description.
Some ways you could use this list include:
- Provide the list to staff who are new to family and whānau violence
- Support staff to build knowledge on identified areas of need
- Incorporate readings into teaching, training and professional development
- Choose items to read and discuss as part of team meetings
- Suggest readings as part of professional supervision
- Share the list with organisations and networks you collaborate and partner with, to assist in developing shared understandings of family and whānau violence.
We thank our Academic and Sector Advisory Groups and other NZFVC users for their input into the list. The list may be updated in the future. Suggestions for inclusion can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Top five reads
Impacts of violence
- Tangata whenua
- Pacific communities
- Asian communities
- Gendered analysis
- Public health models
Risk and protective factors (what 'causes' family violence?)
'What works' reports
Integrated family violence system
- Intimate partner violence and child abuse and neglect
- By population group
- By sector